The Exploration Community is designed to help you answer questions that will move you towards the life you want to lead. Career exploration is the process of learning about yourself, about career options, and planning for the life you imagine after Denison. Figuring out the right career path for yourself can seem like a daunting task but the earlier you start, the easier it will be. You will be able to narrow your career focus by learning about yourself through program participation, engaging with alumni and potential employers, and using available resources. While many students will begin their post-grad planning here then join career-specific communities, students and alumni are welcome at any time as they consider various career options.
The Journey Program
The Denison Journey Program is designed to help you think about your future with excitement, possibility, and promise and support you in breaking down the steps to get there into small, manageable pieces. All students are encouraged to participate in the Journey Program – but the optimal time for participation is the summer before your Sophomore year, during your Sophomore year, or the summer after your Sophomore year.
Steps in Career Exploration
Career Exploration can seem daunting. Breaking it down to a few actionable steps will help you manage and even enjoy the process! The Knowlton Center team is here to assist you and we look forward to working with you! Click below to learn more about each step in the process.
- Engage in your collegiate experience beyond your academics. There is no need to join several organizations just to list them on your resume.
- Think about what interests you, what you are curious about, where you want to spend time?
- Choose a few co-curricular activities and go deep, try to rise to leadership roles as an upperclassman.
- Challenge yourself to do something different and out of your comfort zone.
- The next four years will go fast, maybe not every moment or every class but it will be important to find time to check in with yourself and ask…
- Are the things that I am doing what I want to be doing?
- What do I enjoy, what do I no longer enjoy?
- What type of life do I want after Denison? Where?
Create Your Career Action Plan
- As you begin to think about different careers, make a list of questions you have.
- Design a plan for how you will get the answers using Knowlton Center resources, professors, peers, and professionals in the field.
- Consider how you will use your time while on the hill and off over the next few years. Use this Career Exploration Action Plan to guide you!
Meet with a Career Coach
- Every student is in a unique place in their career planning process.
- We are happy to meet with you whether you have a very defined plan or you have no idea at all as to what you want after Denison.
- If you have never met with a career coach, meet with one of our Peer Coaches first (see below).
- If you have met with a staff member prior, reengage by scheduling an appointment with one of our career coaches.
Drop-in for Peer Coaching
If you are new to the Knowlton Center, the best place to start is with our Peer Coaches. Peer Coaches are Seniors who will walk you through what you can expect from the Knowlton Center, how to take advantage of the many resources you have available to you, how to leverage the 1:1 Career Coaching we provide and help you get started on basics like your resume. Drop-in for Peer Coaching on the 3rd floor of Burton Morgan. Peer Coaches are available:
- MONDAYS: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
- TUESDAYS: 11:30 am -4:00 pm
- WEDNESDAYS: 9:30 am -4:00 pm
- THURSDAYS: 11:30 am -1:15 pm, 1:30 pm -4:00 pm
- FRIDAYS: 10:00 am -12:30 pm, 1:00 pm-4:00 pm
Learn about Careers Direct from Alumni
With more than 30,000 alumni, there’s always a Denisonian willing to offer advice or make connections. All you have to do is ask. Our technology (powered by Protopia) uses AI to find the best experts to answer you. Ask your question about career pathways and options in a variety of fields and get answers from alumni direct to your inbox!