Handshake is a tool that will connect to:
- Career Coaches: Make an appointment in Handshake to meet with a Career Coach!
- Employers: The top employers—including all the Fortune 500—recruit students through Handshake, giving you access to jobs and internships not available anywhere else. When you sign up for a career community, you will receive Handshake jobs and events directly to your inbox every Wednesday evening based on your specific interest areas.
- Students: Students from across the country use Handshake and you can view profiles and connect with students to learn more about the companies they have interned for.
Do I really need a Handshake Profile AND a LinkedIn Profile?
- Having a profile on both Handshake and LinkedIn is going to help you land an internship or job in your chosen area. More and more, employers are connecting with students directly through Handshake to invite them to apply for jobs and internships, so having an updated profile will help you be seen!
Are the jobs showing on my Career Community page different than the jobs in Handshake? Do I need to search both?
- Knowlton Connect integrates with Handshake so the jobs you see are pulled directly for you from there! When you hit apply, you will be directed into Handshake to submit your materials. Occasionally, a parent or alum might post a job on Knowlton Connect if they are not utilizing Handshake, but you will have clear instructions on how to apply if that is the case! The best thing to do is to set your career community preferences so internships and jobs of interest are emailed right to you!
Why should I make my profile public?
- Employers are able to find and view your profile only when you make it visible to them. So help employers find you! Make it public so you’ll show up when they’re searching for students to recruit for jobs and internships. You can also make your profile visible to other students, so you can connect with them for advice, or help them. Don’t worry—your profile will not be public to employers that have not been approved by Denison or to anyone without a Handshake account.
Why should I contact other students on Handshake?
- When you view a job or employer page, you can see other students who have worked there and reach out to them with your questions. You can get an inside look at company culture, interview tips, and more through company reviews. You can also find answers to common career questions (or ask your own!) in Q&A.