Alumni Spotlight: Sophie Lovett ’18

Background:

I studied Mathematics and Environmental Studies. On campus, I was involved in the sorority Pi Beta Phi, Women in Math & Computer Science and the 1831 Society. I also worked in with the Denison University Annual Fund and in the Knowlton Center in addition to being an Environmental Studies Fellow.

Current Role:

I am currently pursuing a Master of Arts in Food Studies at The American University of Rome. More specifically, I study global agri-food systems with a focus on sustainability. Through this social-science degree, we look at how food systems have evolved over time with respect to policy, society, and economics to discover sustainable approaches for the future.

Prior to graduate school, I worked for five years in technology-based management roles across industries such as Entertainment, Education, and Healthcare. Most recently, I worked as a Product Manager for Nomad Health in Los Angeles, California building internal software to help traveling health practitioners in the United States receive job offers as quickly as possible.

What did your career exploration look like at Denison and how did you decide upon your chosen industry or current role?

Starting my freshman year at Denison, I committed energy and time to my career path. Instead of focusing on what I would do after graduation, I focused on what I would do each summer during college to prepare me for my future job. I knew that this approach coupled with the mindset that I would secure a job before graduation would lead to a thoughtful career path. Luckily, it did. Throughout my college years, I was very engaged with the Knowlton Center. I met with career coaches, got feedback on my resume, attended a few workshops, and signed up for informational sessions when different companies of interest would come to campus. At the same time, I networked with Denison alumni through LinkedIn and personal connections by having 30-minute conversations. During each internship or job search, I refined my target role based on what I had learned the previous summers and years on-campus.

My three years of summer internships ranged from journalism to analytics, start-up to enterprise, PR to marketing, informal to formal internships, and from San Francisco, California to Charlotte, North Carolina. My junior fall, I secured a job upon graduation working as a Digital Marketing Analyst for Red Ventures in Charlotte, North Carolina. I would not have been able to land that job without the help of Denison, campus and internship experiences, ongoing personal reflection, and mentors along the way.

How did Denison, or your liberal arts education, prepare you for your career?

Denison allowed me to explore and be the best version of myself which gave me the confidence to make autonomous decisions about my life and my career. I felt encouraged to engage on campus in a way that was truly authentic. For me, this meant participating in groups and activities I identified with or wanted to identify with that did not overlap each other. The liberal arts education allowed me to study mathematics and environmental studies – two majors that people typically view as a strange combination, but fully represent my interests and passions. They represent me so well that I recently (Fall 2022) made the decision to change industries, putting myself on a career path that combines both mathematics and environmental studies. I also appreciated the general education aspect as I discovered other interests in economics and art history that have stuck with me since college.

Because of Denison, I learned to listen to myself and reflect. This led me to follow my inner passions and skills in both studies and career. To this day, I continue to reflect and recalibrate based on what I learn and experience in my career and life. I view all my opportunities and experiences as part of one journey that I try to make more authentic, fulfilling, and vibrant as I progress on my path.

Advice you have for students when it comes to career exploration?

There are some people out there that know the exact career they want and how to get there, but the majority of us are constantly trying to figure it out. If you are in that majority, start by reflecting on what you like, what you don’t like, what you’re good at, what you want to learn, and what your goals are. Remember, you can always come back to this reflection when you feel unfulfilled or stuck.

Always follow the path that feels most authentic to you. Your path is meant to change over time as you learn more about yourself and gain more experience. Seek opportunities to gain perspective and engage your friends, family, mentors, or acquaintances in your career exploration. Talking about it really helps. If what you ‘should do’ in the eyes of others does not match what you are interested in doing, it is probably not a good path for you to follow.

Lean on what you know, trust yourself, and let it guide you to every next step on your journey.

By Jakob Lucas
Jakob Lucas Peer Career Coach