Student Teaching Near and Far: Mya Banek ’24

Senior educational studies major, Mya Banek, has dived into the world of education and its opportunities throughout her last four years at Denison University prepping her aspirations after graduation. “I chose Education as a major because I am passionate about teaching elementary school. There are a lot of fundamental and theoretical frameworks that Denison provides through their department,” she exclaimed. Banek has worked a variety of jobs in the education field on-campus and off-campus. She worked at the morning and after-school childcare program at Granville Elementary School. She found this job through the Education Department at Denison. She also worked as a substitute teacher at Granville Elementary for a semester working on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. “I was also a substitute teacher in Albania teaching 5th grade, an assistant teacher in Denmark, and a summer camp counselor in Colorado and Pennsylvania,” Banek said. She has covered the bases teaching kids of all ages in various places. Banek also has worked for the Education Department and currently serves as a Fellow! She has acquired various skills throughout her work on-campus as a member of the Kappa Delta Pi Educational Honors Society and as a student teaching a variety of subjects. “My most significant takeaway about the world of education is that everyone learns differently, and applying different strategies and structures that help each student is critical. Another takeaway is the use of play and having school be fun has stuck with me,” Banek said about her takeaways as a student who is passionate about education.

The Education Department offers a wide variety of courses from analyzing children’s books to studying the philosophy of education. Banek enjoys the Curricular Service Learning (CSL) component of a few of the courses in the department. “My favorite moments in the department are when I am in the schools for a CSL, work experience, or anything else and apply what I am learning in class to the classroom,” she explained. It is rewarding to have the opportunity to help students learn and thrive at school. The CSL courses provide a hands-on approach toward teaching by giving students the opportunity to work in a local classroom. “I love watching and helping young students figure out the world and the curriculum through various strategies,” she said. In the future Banek would like to be an elementary school teacher. “I plan to apply concepts and strategies in the classroom that fit individual needs, provide opportunities for student agency, and bring in social justice topics and conversations,” Banek exclaimed. The Education Department provides students like Banek with useful knowledge and advice to prepare them for their future career in education. “I appreciate coming to the department for help; all the professors are there to help you succeed. While applying to post-grad opportunities and programs, the department has been extra helpful in walking me through different programs and steps,” Banek remarked. She has utilized all of the resources and opportunities Denison has offered her to invigorate her love for teaching. In her last year at Denison, Banek feels confident for what her future path holds after graduation.

By Sarah Wuellner
Sarah Wuellner Peer Career Fellow: Social Impact, Education and Government