Internship Spotlight: Hannah Davies, Navigating Marketing from Strategy to Stickers

Meet Hannah Davies! Hannah, a senior from Winston-Salem, North Carolina, is currently pursuing a double major in History and Global Commerce, complemented by a certificate in Organizational Studies. She proudly declares her love for ice cream and describes herself as an ambitious student with a strong desire to cultivate expertise in Business, Marketing, and Communications. Beyond her academic and professional pursuits, Hannah finds joy in activities like baking, playing tennis, and indulging in photography.

Over the summer, Hannah completed her second internship for I Know I Can (IKIC) in Marketing and Development. IKIC is a college access program located in Columbus, Ohio and works to provide guidance and support to students by providing early exposure to college and career opportunities, guidance with financial aid processes, help with funds and grants, etc. This marked Hannah’s second summer with I Know I Can, though this time around, there was a notable change. During her initial summer, she worked in person, whereas this summer, she transitioned to a remote setting. For Davies, “working remotely required better organization, focus, and communication. In this regard, I learned that there was no such thing as over-communicating or over-planning.”

Hannah at IKIC

With IKIC, Hannah worked on multiple marketing and development initiatives. Her favorite projects included streamlining and analyzing student databases through Excel and Salsa CRM, creating alumni profiles with unique engagement strategies, designing fun and engaging promotional materials such as stickers, folders, and covers, and creating external documents for IKIC’s donors.

Hannah’s favorite parts of her internship was joining in on larger group calls, where she would learn about the organization’s structures, challenges, goals, or big-ticket events for the months ahead. For I Know I Can, it was especially impactful to know that the projects she was a part of could truly benefit another person’s life and could help them make an informed choice about higher education. Overall, Hannah describes IKIC as an “integral part of [her] college experience and is grateful for the welcoming and supportive environment that helped [her] gain new skills and learning opportunities.” 

Looking for a similar internship? Hannah advises to not underestimate the power of the Denison network. “Alumni, professors, and supporters are amazing when it comes to answering questions and providing advice; do not hesitate to engage in the DU network.” Davies also says to carefully reflect on what skills/experiences you hope to gain from your internship experience and communicate these goals with your manager. Lastly, she stresses to not be afraid to ask questions. “When I asked thoughtful questions about the projects I was assigned, I produced better and more impactful work.” 

If you would like to reach out to Hannah to ask her more questions about her experience at I Know I Can, feel free to email at davies_h1@denison.edu. Also, check out her amazing portfolio: https://hbdavies20.wixsite.com/portfolio

By Virginia Swain
Virginia Swain Peer Career Fellow: Marketing, Sales and Communications