Internship Spotlight: Parker Bailey

Name: Parker Bailey

Major: Global Commerce, Music Composition Minor

Class Year: 2023

Organization: Round Hill Music

Intern Title: A&R Intern

Describe your internship roles, responsibilities and significant contributions.

I was responsible for cataloguing Round Hill Artist’s music and pitching music to be considered by clients. This meant I had to take information about the artist and find songs that best fit these artists’ style and genre. Additionally, I helped with different day-to-day errands.

How did your internship aid in your career exploration or decision making?

I’ve known for a while that I want to pursue a career in music after graduation so Nashville was the perfect location to get writing/performing experience as well as educate myself on the business side of things. My experience has helped me grow as a writer, a person, and a musician.

What advice do you have for future interns?

For future interns, I would say do the work, show that you can be relied on, and, at the end of the day, be a good person to work with. I was surprised to learn how important soft skills are in the workplace, especially in the entertainment industry.

Aside from your internship, are there other tools, resources or programs that have supported your career exploration?

A lot of my [professional] connections have come from personal networking and phone calls. There were certainly Denison alumni that helped me along the way and gave me great perspective on my career path. In general, Denison has given me the opportunity to study a lot of different things and be in an intimate learning environment. I’ve been able to play music on campus and meet some great people who have different interests than me. Being a global commerce major has helped me learn hard skills that will assist me in my professional career, which is broad enough where music business can fit within its parameters.

By Fiona Schultz
Fiona Schultz Peer Career Coach and Peer Fellow: Nonprofit, Education and Government Career Community