First-Gen Spotlight: Quintana Gest ’19!

Today is National First-Gen Day of Celebration and we will be spotlighting first-generation college student Denisonians all week! Quintana Gest graduated in 2019 with an Educational Studies major, and is now a 7th grade English Language Arts teacher with Uplift Schools where she cultivates her students’ social-emotional learning, critical thinking skills, and cultural awareness. Below are a few pieces of advice from Quintana–if you’re interested in more resources and opportunities for first-generation college students, check out our First Generation Identity Community!

What is one takeaway you’ve gotten from your first few years as a professional?

“I have definitely realized how capable I am. In undergrad as a first-generation college student, I was constantly fighting imposter syndrome. Once I joined Sigma Lambda Gamma, I felt that that experience of imposter syndrome had lessened significantly but I would still have moments of doubt. Now being two years out, I have my master of science in education and I have been living my life, on my own, in a completely different state, basically cross-country. Denison truly does set you up for success as long as you see your worth and ask for what you need and deserve! I have been so grateful for my education and experiences from Denison.”

What other advice or encouragement would you like to give current first-gen students at Denison? 

You got to college! You did that! At the end of the day you wrote your essay, you submitted your application, and YOU are enrolled in classes. You can do anything because YOU are so capable and you have already done the impossible. Celebrate yourself and your worth. You got this.

By Anneke Mason
Anneke Mason Senior Associate Director