Location: Columbus, Ohio
Duration: Summer 2024 (approximately June 3rd, 2024 through August 2nd, 2024)
Schedule: Roughly 8:30am-4:30pm Monday through Friday
About BX Coding: BX Coding is a mission-driven computer science education nonprofit dedicated to educating underserved K-12 students in the STEM fields. Through our outreach programs, summer camps, and cutting-edge computer science pedagogy, we aim to inspire and empower the next generation of STEM leaders.
Job Description: We seek enthusiastic Summer Camp Instructors for our 2024 camps. As a camp instructor, you will facilitate learning and fun in a dynamic, interactive environment. You will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of our curricula in Scratch, Python, and engineering principles to a classroom of students. Each camp will have at least two instructors for at most 15 students.
Specific Skills and Minimum Requirements:
- A passion for STEM education.
- A desire to work with students ages 7-13.
- Currently pursuing or have completed a degree in Education (preferred), Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to simplify complex concepts and adjust teaching methods to fit various learning styles.
- A commitment to BX Coding’s mission and values, including fostering inclusivity and accessibility in STEM education.
- Previous experience as a camp counselor or instructor.
- Previous experience teaching STEM at a K-12 level.
- Experience in Scratch, Python, or other programming languages.
- Deliver lessons in Scratch, Python, and hands-on engineering alongside a lead instructor.
- Facilitate a supportive and energetic learning environment that encourages student participation and creativity.
- Provide personalized attention and support to students with diverse learning needs and experiences.
- Manage classroom dynamics and ensure a safe and respectful environment for all students.
- Participate in paid computer science instruction and classroom management training prior to the start of camp. Complete CPR, First Aid, and AED certification programs.
- Instructors will be background checked and fingerprinted prior to working with children.
Application Timeline: BX Coding will review, interview, and select candidates on a rolling basis.
BX Coding is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse set of instructors and strongly encourages applications from individuals from underrepresented groups.