Internship Spotlight: Mohamed Hassan

Name: Mohamed Hassan

Major(s): Political Science and Communication; concentration in Narrative Journalism and Cinema minor

Class Year: 2023

Organization Name: Counterpart International

Intern Title: Communication Intern

This past summer, I lived in the nation’s capital, Washington, DC. During my time in DC, I had the privilege of interning with Counterpart International in their Communication department and participating in the Leadership and the American Presidency (LTAP) program, which is hosted by the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute and The Fund for American Studies. In addition, I took a class from George Mason University taught by Congressman Glenn Nye and Gabriel Scheinman, the Executive Director of The Alexander Hamilton Society.

Describe your internship roles, responsibilities and significant contributions.

Counterpart International is a nonprofit organization that partners with leaders and social networks to focus on international development initiatives such as health, governance, and food security. As their Communication intern, some of the tasks I worked on involved writing and editing articles on current and past projects, forming social media messaging, internal communication, and creating promotional materials and posters. The most significant project I worked on allowed me to step outside of my comfort zone as it required me to create a database of members of the Global Democracy Coalition for staff to access easily.

How did your internship aid in your career exploration or decision making?

Working at Counterpart and participating in the LTAP program has broadened my perspective by bringing different careers to my attention. After my experience this summer, I have chosen to diversify the organizations and career fields I decide to apply. Before this internship, I was solely focused on pursuing a career in Marketing or a similar job; however, now, I’ve broadened my search to look at positions in Foreign Policy think tanks and consulting firms

What advice do you have for future interns?

I have gained much insight from working with my manager Elizabeth Corely and my colleagues at Counterpart. One behavior or trait that helped me thrive in this position, and I would advise others to adopt, is being open and receptive to feedback. This trait is attractive to employers and managers because it demonstrates the willingness to adapt to changes and the demands of an ever-changing market.

In addition, as part of the LTAP program, I visited Capitol Hill, the State Department, the White House Historical Association, and a Google site briefing. As if that wasn’t exciting enough, I participated in a Leadership Symposium, a Braver Angels debate, and a Diplomatic Simulation. On top of all of that, I got to expand my network because the TFAS program had about 300 participants. In short, ensure you take every opportunity presented to you because you never know the possibilities that could sprout from you saying “YES.”   

Aside from your internship, are there other tools, resources, or programs that have supported your career exploration?

If you are like me and are in your career exploration phase, visit Vault through Knowlton Connect to learn more about careers you’re interested in. I highly recommend the TFAS/LTAP program to those seeking a well-rounded experience in DC. I wasn’t aware how much I could grow and learn about myself and the world in such a short period. If you want to learn more about this program, please feel free to reach out or come to the Knowlton Center to chat about it. 

By Mohamed Hassan
Mohamed Hassan Peer Career Coach