Alumni Spotlight: Elle Stevens ’20

Elle Stevens is a Class of 2020 graduate with a degree in History. Elle is currently the Executive Assistant at the American Action Network for the Congressional Leadership Fund. Before leaving Capitol Hill, she was previously the scheduler for Congresswoman Carol Miller. She enjoys exploring Washington, DC, and taking runs along the many trails around the city. During her time at Dension, Elle was involved in DCGA, College Republicans, and Dension Women’s Swimming and Diving.

When reflecting on her time at Denison, Elle feels that her major has played a big role in her career as her critical thinking skills are reflective of parts of the position. She states, “I find that I am a better communicator from group discussions and even one-on-one meetings with my professors. I am more confident approaching my co-workers and boss. Also, I find during stressful or crazy days, being able to work through it and manage it all is due to the skills I learned within my major.” Moreover, while Elle was able to accomplish her goal to live in DC and work on the Hill, the key moments that led to her career are the internships and fellowships she participated in while attending Denison.

The advice Elle would share with someone who is considering a career similar to hers in government is to be aware of is time management. She explains, “I balance many different calendars and office projects. Being able to manage my time and delegate accordingly is a huge factor in having a productive day. Many people rely on you, so having the ability to make sure you are on track is super important in this field.” Along with this, she suggests to keep exploring opportunities and really find what you are interested in when navigating a future career field. So, “do not sweat the small stuff and do not be too hard on yourself! It all falls into place. Although it is easier said than done, you’ll find what you are passionate about and thrive in the career you choose!”

Connect with Elle on LinkedIn

By Jess Spitzer
Jess Spitzer