Internship Spotlight: JeSean Johnson ’22

Hello! My name is JeSean Johnson and I am a Communication major and French minor. I am currently a senior and had the wonderful opportunity to work with a renowned nonprofit this past summer which help me get more exposure within the realm of communications. I worked as a virtual intern for the YMCA of Central Ohio where I was able to gain hands-on experience over seven weeks and create great relationships. Here are some of the things I took away from my experience:

Describe your internship roles, responsibilities and significant contributions:

I worked with the communications team in social media marketing, website design, and ad campaigning. I interviewed YMCA staff from various departments to help start the “Positive Pointers” section on the YMCA of Central Ohio’s website.

How did your internship aid in your career exploration or decision making?

I believed my internship experience helped solidify what I want my career to focus on, which is storytelling and writing. By interviewing staff at the YMCA, I was able to write engaging material from their stories and insights that YMCA members would be able to see on the website and learn from. On top of that, I was able to gain an idea of where my writing thrives and where it needs more work.

What advice do you have for future interns?

My advice would be to take on an opportunity that interests you. Even if the opportunity isn’t exactly what you want to do, you can still hone and sharpen various skills that can be advantageous for what you do want to do.

Aside from your internship, are there other tools, resources or programs that have supported your career exploration?

Without a doubt the Knowlton Center. Going over possible opportunities with the career coaches there really helped me go online and apply to internships that interested me.

By JeSean Johnson
JeSean Johnson Communications Intern