Internship Spotlight: Inasia Belton ’22

Major: Psychology (Spanish minor)

Class Year: 2022

Organization Name: Cleveland Clinic

Intern Title: Undergraduate Group Counselor

Describe your internship roles, responsibilities and significant contributions.

This summer I worked at the Cleveland Clinic. It was a Summer Treatment Program that focused on children with ADHD. My roles were to develop relationships with the children, enforce a point system to help with their behaviors, and interact with their family. I was responsible for the safety of all of the children but I was also given two children to work with more closely. We discussed behaviors that needed to be worked on for the week and debriefed about it daily. I was also in charge of making fun activities that the children would be able to engage in. The section I was in charge of was called Creative Corner.

How did your internship aid in your career exploration or decision making?

My internship helped solidify that I am on the right path. Being able to work with children hands-on in a more intense environment made me realize this is something that I enjoy. I knew that I wanted to work with children, but this helped me realize the settings I was more comfortable working in and what I exceled at.

What advice do you have for future interns?

I would advise future interns to try and find an internship related to what you want to do. Even if it does not fit exactly go for it because at the very least you will know what you don’t like and best case scenario you can find a new passion and realize some amazing things about yourself and what you are capable of. Hands-on experience is the best way to find out if you truly enjoy the path you plan to take.

Aside from your internship, are there other tools, resources or programs that have supported your career exploration?

The Knowlton Center in general is always a big help. Anytime I had questions there was always someone there to help me. They are always informing you of opportunities that fit what you are interested in and any resources to help you.

By Inasia Belton
Inasia Belton Undergraduate Group Counselor